I am so tired and I have a TERRIBLE headache but I am glad to say I am that much closer to being ready for the move. It is only 3 or 4 days away!! AAH!!!!! Somebody hold me!
Category Archives: moving
We are only five days away from the day the first truck comes to take our stuff to the new house (we are using two trucks)!! The countdown is on and I am both nervous and anxious for this to be over. The girls are finding ways to entertain themselves as I continually pack more and more of their stuff.
And I like to plan our new house. I really see us staying their a long time and it is fun to try to decide what we are going to do. Since this house has wood stoves, wooden beams and lots of that sort of character, I want to continue that in our bedroom. Maybe because it if fall right now and the air is crisp, right now I am thinking that I want our room to be cozy and comfortable and to remind me a bit of a wood cabin feel. That would appeal to Prince Charming since he doesn’t tend to like the floral quilts I have been drawn to in the past.
Here are some pictures I have found inspiring:
I am feeling so lucky, the repair man was completely reasonable and fixed our washer and it only cost us a little money!!! We have had some unexpected expenses this month. And on a month that we are moving, we could have done without it, but I think we will be just fine. Planning helps prepare even for those things that you don’t expect I guess.
I am looking forward to settling in our new home. There are so many beautiful parts of Annapolis Royal.
It is filled with a rich heritage:
It is filled with beauty:
It has a wonderful farmers market:
They have a lot of wonderful celebrations such as the following just to name two:
Ghost town at Halloween
Victorian Christmas at the O’Dell Museum
I just can’t wait to explore the historic streets:
This may be a little disjointed but this is a sort of stream of thought post. I have been thinking a lot of the new house and how I want things to be. I want it to be perfect for all the kids. I need to consider that we have little girls, a little boy and teenager. I need to consider the fact that there are different personalities, creative, quiet, energetic and autistic. And all of that needs to be incorporated into the kids zone of the house. So here are some of the ideas and inspirational pictures that have been floating around in my head in regards to organization for the kids at the new house.
I would like to divide the Classroom/Playroom area into sections:
- toys/play area
- school work
- reading nook
- crafting corner
- television, cozy spot
I have other ideas too that I am thinking of implementing in some way or the other in the Playroom/Classroom area,
- Creating picture labels and one word for each of the zones and for the organization of toys
- Separate all the into like kinds such as toy dishes, blocks, puzzles, cars, stuffies, animals, board games, art supplies, children’s books, musical instruments, and educational toys
- Have a comfy place to read near books as well as a comfy place to curl up to watch television
- There needs to be space on the floor to play, a table or desk for creativity, maybe a tactile board?
- I have heard that picture steps, picture rules and instructions posted in the bathroom, dining room and closet. This will be helpful for Little Prince (autism) and for the girls’ reading
- To help Little Prince with his balance and to help him burn off his energy I have thought of a ball pit, a small climbing structure with a slide and maybe a small trampoline
- I would love there to be lots of pillows of different colors, shapes, textures and kinds.
- The kids would love a bean bag chair, especially Little Prince
- And maybe I could have lids on toy bins to encourage the use of language for Little Prince??
And for Little Prince, I have been thinking that is hard to make his room cute as well as safe and comfortable. I want ways to decorate without him being able to destroy things or hurt himself.
Here are some things I have been thinking about
- Decorations for his room could be hanging from the ceiling, things like stars, clouds, or planes
- Lots of padding and pillows
- Soft, natural lighting which is better for mood and attention than artificial lighting
- Soft furniture and maybe quilts or something similar on walls absorb and soften sounds.
- Having his room be shades of blue may help with creativity and calmness.
- Alphabet and/or numbers on walls since he is so inspired by them.
- He may like twinkling (Christmas type) lights hanging from the ceiling or on his walls.
- Someone mentioned a ‘crash pad’ for she has for her son, which is in the corner and it is a padded mat that he can run and crash into when he needs to. Little Prince Crashes into the walls all the time and creating something like this, if we can, may be good for him.
This has been a day where I plan. I have been planning ways to make the playroom in the new house safe and fun for all the kids including Little Prince.
I have also been planning ways to make his room safe, comforting for him, as well as cute.
That got me thinking about when we start homeschooling there. I am trying to find what ways I can make it suitable for every one of the kids.
Then I got to thinking about homeschooling Little Prince when the time comes. I was researching curriculums, techniques, and tools.
On a sidenote, we discussed Little Prince’s EIBI therapy and homeschooling with his therapist the other day. She told us we are allowed to delay his school starting date for a year to make sure he is more ready. She feels that allowing him to benefit from a full year of EIBI would prepare him for homeschooling and I agree. I am hoping better communication skills will help me know how to approach his education.
Little Prince had Occupational therapy today. He worked hard and I am so proud of him. We talked to his therapist and found out that his speech therapist may be wrong and we will probably be getting all new therapists after we move. When we were finishing up, and she told me that this would be our last session together. I was surprised to find myself feeling emotional. She has done so much for Little Prince and he likes her so much. I am sad to know our time with her is finished. She has told us to have his next therapist call her, she said, “They can call anytime, I won’t need my chart. I will remember him.” She has expressed on lots of days how much she enjoys him and his sweet personality.
I got a shot in my knee today to help with my pain and I have to tell you, I was SCARED! I do NOT like needles. Prince Charming came with me for moral support and held my hand when the doctor stuck that needle WAY in!