Newfie bread and onion pudding
This is a classic Newfoundland dish that usually accompanies a Jigg’s Dinner. I list some of our other favorite accompaniments here on this post.
- 6 slices of bread torn into small pieces
- 1 large onion cut into very small pieces
- Pinch of salt
- Teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Mix together well with your hand.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon of flour, then pour 2-3 tablespoons of water over top and squeeze through.
- Dip pudding bag into the pot liquor, when bag is cool to the touch, put your bread pudding inside.
- Leave a little room for it to swell, and tie it off.
- Dip the pudding (in the bag) down in the pot, pull back up and sit it on top of the vegetables, cover and allow it to cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Turn out onto a plate, slice, and enjoy!